Translate

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Oscar Winners Predictions and Buzz - Toons of Any Length

     I apologize that this final round of category-by-category analysis got delayed but I was trying to catch the shorts in theaters before I proceeded.  I STILL haven't seen them, but the Oscars are seventeen days away now & I MUST get moving before these articles become obsolete.  As always, the buzz comes first with previous rankings listed in parenthesis.  Then I'll give you a piece of my mind (but please give it back, I'm not sure how many more I can spare)...

Short Subject - Animated
  1(1). Paperman
  2(2). Adam and Dog
  3.(8) Head Over Heels
  4.(4) Maggie Simpson in The Longest Daycare
  5.(10) Fresh Guacamole
  Leaving the Rankings:  The Eagleman Stag, Dripped, Fall of the House of Usher, Combustible, Tram
     I HAVE actually seen two of these, so I actually have SOME clue, just not much.  Still, if I HAD to hazard a guess (and I do), I'd say...
  1. Paperman...Disney hasn't won this award in a long time but this film has more buzz than all the other contenders combined.  This category usually tries to reward up and coming film makers (always looking to help create the next Aardman Studios), but with Wreck-It Ralph or Frankenweenie poised to take Feature, this might well be the year that the Academy get some serious Disney love going.  Plus, the toon is really magnificent for something so brief and it does show the most innovation in the field of anything the Mouse House has done in ages.
  2. Head Over Heels...However, this category is often won by something that wasn't on any body's radar until nomination morning.  This picture has gone from being an afterthought on the short list to one of the most talked about pictures in this race.  That sort of forward momentum cannot be discounted.
  3. Adam and Dog...This was the early "high brow" favorite contender to challenge Paperman and Daycare, but it seems to be losing that title to Head Over Heels.
  4. Fresh Guacamole...Nobody expects this to win, but I've seen it.  It is so creative and innovative that I can't help but believe it stands a slim chance.  "Fresh" indeed!
  5. Maggie Simpson in The Longest Daycare...Everybody loves The Simpsons, but if the Academy sees fit to reward a "name brand" short in this category, I have to believe it will be the ground breaking Paperman.

Animated Feature
  1.(4) Wreck-It Ralph
  2.(2) Frankenweenie
  3.(1) Brave
  4.(3) Paranorman
  5.(9) The Pirates!  Band of Misfits
  Leaving the Rankings:  Rise of the Guardians, The Painting, From Up On Poppy Hill, The Rabbi's Cat, Madagascar 3
     I'm gonna go with...
  1. Frankenweenie...Yeah, Ralph seems to have victory momentum at the moment, and Brave was made by Pixar (nuff said), but Frankenweenie is gonna win BAFTA (the British Academy Awards) and this is still a golden opportunity for the Academy to recognize Tim Burton not only for this film, but for his body of work (recent additions notwithstanding).  For the moment, I'm gonna stick to my guns.
  2. Wreck-It Ralph...That being said, Wreck-It Ralph was a really good picture and I will not be at all indignant with the Academy if it wins.  Disney has really had their best year in a long time.
  3. Brave...Yes, it won the Globe and it's Pixar, but it is hardly their best effort.  I may be a fool to go against this one, but I'm betting on the parent company this year.
  4. Paranorman...This film certainly has its fans (I like it better than Brave myself), but it has lost an awful lot of momentum in the last few months and I think it is out of the running.
  5. The Pirates! Band of Misfits...I love Aardman studios but there's no way in hell that they are winning this year.  I still haven't seen the G-Kids submissions, but its hard to believe that this film beat them all out for a nomination.  Maybe four possibilities was too much for the upstart distributor.

     I'll be back in short order with the documentaries...Froggy

Related Articles:  Oscar Winner Predictions & Buzz: Of Snubs and Triumphs (preview), Musical Techs (Score and Song), Noisy Techs (Sound Editing & Sound Mixing), Pretty People Techs (Costume Design & Make-Up and Hairstyling), Pretty Picture Techs (Cinematography & Production Design), Finishing Touch Techs (Editing & Visual Effects), If It Ain't Wrecked... (Wreck-It Ralph & Paperman reviews), Elena's Brave Law (Brave review), The Perfect Para-Killer (Paranorman review), Bernie! On a Ledge of Misfits (Pirates! Band of Misfits review)

No comments:

Post a Comment